Project summary: Switch, off Save Energy, Win prizes!
UCC Green Campus, together with the Union of Students in Ireland are looking for enthusiastic, environmentally-minded students to become Ambassadors for the “Student Switch Off” programme. “Switch Off” is an international campaign which encourages students to reduce their energy consumption through fun on- and off-line competitions and events, such as, photo actions, movie nights, dinner parties etc. Students will be asked to implement energy saving measures like switching off the light, putting on an extra layer of clothing and cooking with a lid on, just to name a few. Currently the program is being run in 4 universities in Irelands, as well as in the UK, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Ireland and Lithuania.
Your primary responsibilities (working in pairs within campus) would be:
- Attend USI training
- Host events/workshops
- Encourage others to pledge to save energy with the campaign
- Create and share energy-saving photos or videos from your campus
- Spread the campaign message through halls using face-to-face visits
- Regularly updating the Facebook page and Twitter activity
- Shape the course of the campaign throughout the year (new ideas strongly encouraged!).
Other activities may be decided at a later date in consultation with the intern, UCC Green Campus and the USI.
Hours required: 40 hours minimum.
Other requirement: Reflective report on the work experience.
Essential Skills Required:
- Interested in environmental issues
- Confident speaking to people
- Competent with social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter and a good communicator.
- Enthusiasm for the position
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Previous experience in running student engagement campaign.
- Knowledge of environmental management and ways to improve efficiency.
Objectives of the role:
To assist the USI and Green Campus initiative in rolling out an engagement programme that will target student behaviour off campus i.e. in their accommodation.
Skills you will gain:
- Presentation skills and public speaking
- Time management
- Event management
- Problem solving
This is a fantastic chance to develop your skill base and make a difference on your campus. We will provide training and support throughout the year so that in the future you have a CV that stands out from the competition. Becoming an Ambassador will give you the opportunity to get more widely involved in Green Campus and SU events, as well as the national Student Switch Off campaign.